The “Joining Forces” enforcement is expected to last from 12:30 to 9 p.m. throughout the city, NLV police said. Officers from other southern Nevada jurisdictions are expected to join NLVPD for the event.
The police department said the event is set to start at Cheyenne Road and Civic Center Drive and will move to other intersections in the city.
Officers in particular will be monitoring intersections for speeding and distracted drivers, with the hopes to prevent serious injuries and crashes.
In preparation with the event, NLVPD gave the following tips for safe driving at intersections:
- Complete a full stop at a stop sign and watch for oncoming traffic before you enter the intersection.
- Don’t speed up to get through a yellow light. Yellow means proceed with caution. Slow down and prepare to stop as the light changes to red.
- Remember the rule of the right. When vehicles reach an all way stop or uncontrolled intersection at the same time, the car to the right has the right of way.
- Pay attention to the vehicle in front of you. When the signal turns green, don’t assume the vehicle ahead of you is ready to go. Wait for it to move before you accelerate.
- Maintain a safe stopping distance between you and the car in front of you. The safe distance is a minimum of one car length for every 10 mph.